Dehydration is a scary thing...
It can cause dry mouth, dizziness, loss of motor skills, fever and much more, to avoid this it is important to take into consideration your drinking vessel, its size and materials.
If we don’t hydrate ourselves through a proper vessel we could harm our bodies as well as the land around us, so there are options on the market today to help you make environmentally friendly choices and save yourself any prolonged health effects of traditional plastic water bottles.
A Costco Hydro flask is excellent when it comes to size, shape, sustainability and more, with one of these it is sure you will not face dehydration the same again.
Take a look below at the list I've put together of the top-of-the-line hydro flasks that are available today:
Takeya 40oz Stainless Steel ThermoFlask®, 2-pack
There is much to like about the Takeya ThermoFlask®. At 40 ounces it is among the biggest in the range, not to mention possibly the best value flask available. It comes in two colors: stainless steel and navy blue.
- Double-walled vacuum insulated: Two walls of stainless steel stops heat from the outside warming liquid inside via conduction. A tight cap stops air from entering the flask transferring heat via convection. The same works in reverse in keeping heat from hot fluids escape via conduction. The double-walled construction also stops condensation forming on the outside surface of the flask making it clammy to hold or just plain wetting adjacent areas in a backpack.
- 18/8 stainless steel construction: stands for 18% chromium and 8% nickel. 18/8 stainless steel is an industry standard when it come to food-grade hygiene. An important element in food container design is flavor contamination—today's medium roast coffee does not want yesterday's lime-flavor sport's drink. Professional food-grade stainless steel protects against flavor transfer.
- Wide mouth for adding ice-cubes: Takeya says drinks will stay cold for up to 24 hours. In those times when hot beverages are preferred, drinks stay hot for 12 hours. A flask with a wide mouth also allows easier cleaning, a must for food hygiene.
- Leak-proof twist cap: a cap that prevent heat from the outside getting in, or heat from a liquid escaping to the outside is essential in maintaining temperature. Takeya has a patented leak-proof lid. Many flask on the market require you to unscrew the drinking cap, or pull it open with your finger nail. Takeya 40 ounce stainless steel flask has a drinking spout with a flip top lever. It means joggers, cyclists, or off the beaten track holding a trekking pole, allows you to drink from the flask one-handed.
Hydro Flask - Water Bottle/Travel Coffee Mug
- 12 oz handy size
- Wide mouth opening
- Double-walled insulation
- Hot up to 6 hours, cold 24 hours
- Durable, sweat free powder coated finish
- PBA free
- 18/8 stainless steel
- Compatible lids: Hydro flask Straw Lid and Flex Cap
- Hand wash with soapy water
- Choice of 9 colors plus stainless steel
This sleek and stylish flask comes in three different sizes, 12 oz., 16 oz., and 20 oz. each of these sizes come in a wide range of colors. This travel mug is highly convenient in that the 12 oz. mug will comfortably fit under most single-cup coffee brewers for a no-hassle refill and in the case of the bigger sizes, they are no different to regular take-out style cups in size terms.
The non-slip grip created by the powder coat on the exterior of the mug is highly useful in avoiding accidents on your busy commute. This powder teams up with the TempShield insulation technology further to ensure no condensation ever builds up on your mug.
On insulation, the double-walled, vacuum-sealed TempShield insulation technology will make sure that your hot and cold beverages stay at just their intended temperature.
Hot drinks will maintain for up to 6 hours with cold beverages up to 24 hours.
In environmental terms, the Hydro Cup is a big winner. No need to ever use a disposable or paper cup again!
Hydro Flask - Wide Mouth with BPA-Free Straw Lid
- Hydro Flask support the development of public green spaces
- Two sizes to choose from 32 ounce and 40 ounce
- Hydro Flask support the development of public green spaces
- Personalize you drink bottle with a number of color choices
- Hydro Flask Straw Lid giving easy access to drinks on the go, whether jogging or driving
- Proprietary Powder Coat gives a slip-free grip. Also adds durability for tough conditions.
- 18/8 stainless steel for purity and strength
- TempShieldTM prevents heat transfer with insulated technology
Again coming is a range of attractive colors, the Wide-Mouth mug provides even easier drinking access to your favorite beverages with many of the same portability benefits found in other models. The flask is designed with both the environment and user satisfaction at the forefront of its thought.
The flask is made from non-toxic, BPA free plastics and 18/8 food-grade stainless steel. This helps to ensure the maximum possible compliance with the environmental aspects. On a more functional note, the non-slip handling again allows for you to release worry of any accidental droppings. This is especially important if leading a busy family life.
The flask is compact and convenient enough that it will still fit in the vast majority of in-car or seat cup holders with the best possible stability. The wide-mouth straw lid, which is also compatible with many other models is ideal for your more active pursuits. Whether you are running, hiking, or just trying to buzz through the bust crowds, you can still take a sip at your convenience without spilling a drop.
This model also features a handy finger loop which can hook your flask onto most backpacks. This is ideal if you are on a long journey or trekking with your backpack in situations where it is not always feasible to be holding your mug.
Hydro Flask - Standard Mouth w/loop Cap
- Wide choice of colors
- Double-walled vacuum insulated. Cold drinks up to 24 hours, hot up to 6 hours
- 18/8 stainless steel. Have no liner and BPA free
- Powder coated matte finish never sweats or leaves puddles on the office desk
- Lifetime warranty
The standard mouth Hydro Flask comes in a matte finish which is a great combination with any of the various colors available. This flask has fantastic portability as it can be taken anywhere with the utmost convenience. It will comfortably fit into any of your vehicle cup holders.
The attached flexible strap at the top of the cap moves when you move. This means that no matter how energetic or unpredictable your day becomes, you can be confident that your hot or cold beverage will remain there with you for the long haul.
Again, this model is unbeatable for insulating your beverage. Be it hot or cold, this Hydro Flask has got you covered. It will maintain the temperature of your hot drinks for a highly impressive six hours, meanwhile keeping your cold drinks cool for an astonishing 24 hours.
The Hydro Flask just resonates durability. This model with its strong matte finish encapsulating just that. Regardless of the conditions or terrain you find yourself in, the Hydro Flask is built to last. This is further typified by its non-slip grip, helping you to keep a hold of things even when the going gets tough.
Isn't this just another piece of junk carried around? Why should I buy one and not drink out of a plastic bottle like most folks?
The important aspect in keeping hydrated is to drink often. A plastic bottle will not keep water icy cold for long. Luke warm water is not good to drink in hot weather, while plastic gives water an unpleasant taste. Plastic bottles contain BPA (bishphenol-A). Although the jury is out as to damaging health affects, its use is restricted in the EU, Canada, China, and Malaysia. Vacuum flasks made with stainless steel are healthier options.
I can't understand how a thin bit of steel will keep a drink cold in my tractor, especially down in Texas?
It is not so much the stainless steel that keeps drinks cold, but rather the vacuum enclosing it. Heat radiates from the sun. Hot air carries heat via convection. A surface hot air contacts is warmed via conduction. While metal outside the flask will heat up, in a vacuum there is no air to transfer heat. The interior wall stays cold, so too does your drink.
I bought another brand of water bottle, and although it did the job, left a pool of water in my car, the outside sweated big time. Won't a Takeya ThremoFlask do the same thing?
The reason why pop bottles and beer cans sweat is because vapor in the air lands on a cool surface. The gaseous water vapor reverts back to water in the form of droplets. A Takeya ThermoFlask has a vacuum insulated layer. It means the cold part is inside while the outside is the same temperature as the air. Water vapor stays away.
Factors to Consider When Buying
Price will always factor heavily in any purchase decision you make. When you decide to purchase one of these models, you are buying quality. Quality, along with durability and convenience. This means, considering the features, that you could pay slightly more for a Hydro Flask. Considering the durability and other quality features associated with the product though are essential.
It is not always the case that bigger is better. The models come in a range of sizes beginning from as small as 12 oz. and increasing in size and width. You have to think about the practicalities of daily life. It is true that all of the models are conveniently stored and will fit in the majority of cup-holders though.
Again on the practical side, you should consider your entire daily routine and in what circumstances you plan to use the mug. The first obvious consideration to factor in is, how often you actually carry a beverage. The next will be related to the length of your commute and how busy it becomes. On the other hand, if you are an athlete or adventurer and using the mug outside your regular work routine, you will have additional features such as durability to consider.
If you are striving like many people to have a positive environmental impact in the world around us, then this style of mug is perfect for you. It can help reduce your use of paper and other disposable cups to effectively zero. The positive impact this creates on the environment cannot be overstated. It also places you in a powerful position to advise and influence others around you to do the same.
Ultimately, the decision over which model to purchase in the HydroFlask range is entirely yours and will depend mainly on how you spend most of your time, and in which specific environments you are rehydrating. In the workplace, it could be surmised that the standard mouth cup would be sufficient with the volume size completely dependent on your regular consumption.
If we consider your hobbies and extra-curricular activities though, we can make a case for using either of the other two models. If you prefer bigger consumption in a shorter amount of time or are engaged in more strenuous activities, then the wide-mouth or straw lid models may indeed be more suitable.